In 1999 VIDRL was designated the Australian reference laboratory for measles and in the following year was designated as the first WHO measles regional reference laboratory for the Western Pacific Region.
The objectives of the measles program at VIDRL are:
- to provide a timely diagnostic service for measles surveillance and outbreak investigation
- to provide a reference service for measles diagnosis for laboratories around Australia
- to provide laboratory support for the improved understanding of the epidemiology of measles in Victoria and Australia
- to provide a reference service for measles diagnosis and surveillance for laboratories within the WHO Western Pacific region
- to develop alternative laboratory methods for measles diagnosis and surveillance that may be appropriate for resource poor countries